Monday, February 4, 2013

THESE DAYS IN PICTURES

Waking with money in the bank and books on the brain, we journeyed to The Uptown for breakfast at Magills with our friend, Christoph.  I happily walked in my new Oxfords in our new and greatly appreciated sunshine, and my heels clapped like the pair of tap shoes they resemble.  And with a stomach full of fish n' chips and strong coffee on my breath, we made our way through the alley and around the corner to Adventures Underground. 

Walking in we were greeted by the guard of 'Adventures, Charlie;  a Scottish Wolfhound of intimidating size, but tender character.  He wagged his tail at us upon entering, and I was able to give him one of Magills' home-made dog treats and snap a few pictures.  He ate it feverishly and attempted to follow us home as we left.  Our booty was good.  We came home with a copy of Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa and Stephen Kings' Gunslinger (the first book in The Dark Tower Series).  My mind journeys into the taped-up boxes stacked up in our closet.  I imagine opening them and smelling that sweet scent that was our old house.  I file through their familiar covers and try to remember whether we have a copy of The Gunslinger or not.  I reckon we do, but when Joe and I find we have multiples of wonderful books, it only brings us happiness.  Now we will be able to give a copy of this wonderful book to a friend or traveler.  Joe is able to buy the newest installation to the Dark Tower series.  He finished it in just a few hours and regrets not buying more books.

After our trip we return home to meet up with friends to play music as the bluegrass band, Toothless Grin.  My husband on banjo, Johnny Marijuani on drums, Chris on stand-up bass, Robert on guitar and I on washboard.  The sweet memories of summer mix with my mason jar of mimosa to leave a delicious taste in my mouth.  The night follows with a night out and a bedtime of about 6:00 AM.  And the weekend continues to be comfortable and surrounded by friends.


1. Ol' Hunter S. Thompson being beautiful.
2.  My new oxfords.
3.  Charlie, the 'Underground dog.
4.  My new perfume, Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker.
5.  The condenser mic and Johnny on the drums.
6&7.  My washboard and the thimbles I use to play it.  It came painted like that, and I personalized it a bit by adding Pabst cans all over the grass, a beer bong on the fence, and a ruckus flag flown proudly.
8.  One of my favorite records.
9.  The quarters we use to weigh down the needle when a warped record needs playing.
10.  Joe smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment